Max Performance’s Season Opener Triathlon in Hopkinton, Ma marked the start of the 2013 race season for several NEMS athletes, and it looks like it’s going to be a great one! A day that started off dreary and rainy ended with a many new faces joining the ranks of NEMS podium finishers. Club President and 2nd place overall finisher, Colin Cook, summed the experience up nicely,
With the tough New England winters (especially this past one) sometimes its easy to forget how ?terrific race day is. Seeing so much orange and blue out their on the course and everyone cheering and routing on their teammates as they passed one another, it’s days like today that really help justify all the sacrifices we make as triathletes.
Here are just a few of the highlights from the race:
• NEMS athletes took the 2nd through 4th overall spots in the race, including one of our newest members, Lucas Pozzetta, who finished in 3rd, a mere 8 seconds behind Colin.
• Nate Thomas finished in 4th place with the top overall bike split of the day. This is hardly out of the ordinary for Nate, but what makes this race remarkable is that he did it on a bike he was forced to borrow last-minute.
• Zuzka Trnovcova was the 4th female finisher, debuting her new bike setup from The Velo Resource.
• Jim Petersen, Sarah Wilson, Beth Birket, and Dave Dishaw all claimed age group podium spots.
• Ryan L’Italien, competing in just the second triathlon, used this race as a tune-up for a season that will include his first Olympic distance tri and first 70.3. Go get ’em, Ryan! We love to see this kind of ambition.
Here’s to many more great races for NEMS this year! Cheers!